12.18.2012

Bossypants

Seriously, who doesn’t like Tina Fey? She’s funny, witty, and can do everything. How many other women do you know who can write and act in films, write and act in sitcoms, write and act in live comedy performances, host award shows, and write a book -  all while raising two daughters under seven? I added her autobiography as the last novel on my 2012 reading list because I wanted something entertaining and engaging to round out the year after reading such heavy books as One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, The Bell Jar, and Jurassic Park (just kidding!). I was pleasantly surprised by Eat, Pray, Love last year and wanted to continue reading that style of non-fiction that I love so well.

Bossypants is a fun book. I read it all in one day, staying up until 2 a.m. to finish it (these are the exciting things I do on Friday nights, people). I literally laughed out loud multiple times at her quirky writing and dark humor. Even the book group discussion questions are hilarious, encouraging readers to act our their favorite 30 Rock scenes and write a love letter to Amy Poehler. Apparently Tina recorded the audio version herself, which sounds fantastic.

Would I suggest this book to all of my girlfriends? Absolutely. Tina is a great example of a working mom and proves that women can do just about everything. Except pee in a jar. Don’t ask, just go read the book already!

No comments:

Post a Comment